Thursday, April 9, 2009

One Hour Rule


Some days are rougher than others; they weigh heavily on your shoulders. You might be stressed because the due date for a particular project has suddenly been moved up. Or because you found out that you need to let go of two people on your team because of budgetary reasons. Or simply because it’s only Monday, and you know there are still four days left in the work week….. Then the second you step through the door it starts; how was your day? Where did you go for lunch? What do you want for dinner? Did you pick up the milk? Blah.. Blah.. Blah... The last thing you want to do when you get home is play 20 questions. This inquisition is not going to help alleviate any stress you may have been dealing with. So for the betterment of our marriage, and my sanity, I have enacted a new rule. It’ll give me a chance to cool off and not get upset with her over something she hasn’t caused.

I’ve told my wife that we need to enact a one hour rule. On days that you’ve just had too much on your plate and you just know that you are in a bad mood, put it into play. As soon as she starts with the third degree, I simply say “One hour rule!” So from that point I have one hour to forget everything that happened during the course of the day that got me into such a shitty mood. I’ll go change, grab a beer and just sit on my chair, as I do and think of absolutely nothing. She will wait patiently for me to de-stress and become my usual self.

This works both ways, there are days when the wife will come home after having a rough day and will enact her own one hour rule. I will leave her alone as she removes the stress of the day. Don’t get me wrong, we talk about stuff all the time. Everyone needs that shoulder. Now while this might seem a bit extreme to some of you, think about it. It’s better than getting into an argument with your significant other over work related stress. Go home and try it today. You’ll thank me for it later….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gay - there are no rules in marriage - you will listen and answer my questions, and you will do it now!

whoisMookie said...

ooh! I love it when you talk to me that way...

Post a Comment