Thursday, April 23, 2009

What I've Learned So Far

Even though I’ve only been married for a short period of time, here is an example of what I’ve learned so far.

For the last few weeks my wife’s aunt, who lives about an hour away, has been inviting us over for dinner. I really like her aunt and uncle so I don’t mind going over there and spending time with them. We hadn’t been up there at all this year and besides, a well cooked meal is always welcome. Unfortunately, we have been really busy with work and prior engagements that we were obligated to go to. Finally this past weekend we had an opening in our hectic schedule and were delighted to be going over Saturday afternoon.

Now this is where your lesson starts….
While my wife was texting away on her cell phone, I was driving. As we neared her aunt’s home I said “I think we have to make a right up at the next light.”

“Nope, it’s the second light.” she proclaimed.

Now we were both agreed to the fact that we needed to make a right, the question was at which light.

So I thought about it for a second and said, “No it’s definitely this light. I remember from the last time we came.”

She quickly countered, “You can’t remember what we had for dinner last week, we haven’t been here in over eight months, trust me it’s the second light.”

So I started to get irked and said, “Look, I’m the one who always drives us here, and I’m telling you we need to make a right at this light.”

To which she responds, “Well, if you remember, I was in the car too and it’s at the second light that we need to turn.”

Now I was at a boiling point, and I was about ready to say something that I knew would come back to haunt me later. Instead I calmed down and said, “Okay, we’ll go to the second light and turn there.”

She was totally taken aback by this, and I could see the gears turning in her mind, trying to figure out what I was up to. She wondered whether I was being serious, or if I was just patronizing her. So what did I do…. that’s right I drove past the first light and made the turn at the second!

So one of two things would happen:

1: My wife was right. We saved time and she thinks I was willing to listen to her, even when it came to directions. Result for me: Win!

2: I was right. (Insert evil laugh) We wasted time, but I was right! Result for me: Win!

What you should take away: Make sure you don’t rub it in and rejoice in your triumph. Maybe let out a little smile, but careful not too much, you don’t want to be caught with the smile on your face. Just turn around and start driving in the right direction. Well done my young padawan.

6 comments:

K. said...

Dude, you will go far if you learn early on that your wife is ALWAYS right, even when she's wrong. Because even if you win the battle, my friend, you're going to lose the WAR...so just wave the white flag already...it's not worth arguing with us...you can never win...=)

Unknown said...

he still won, he was right, all that matters

Anonymous said...

this might spur a debate. I'm excited

Neha said...

I want to know who was right? Wife or you?

P-Roc said...

I'm confused

whoisMookie said...

alrite...
the truth is...
she was right.. sort of...
apparently, you can get there from either turn... her way is a bit shorter...
but the last time that we went we did go the way i was saying...

Post a Comment